Recipe : Ala Johor Laksa
- Preparation time : 25 minutes
- Cooking time : 45 minutes
- Total servings : 6 pax
Ingredients to blend:
Shrimp shelled stock - 2 Liters
Shrimp meat - 300gm
Tuna in can - 800gm
For soup gravy:
Red onion - 5 [blend well together]
Garlic - 6 cloves [blend well together]
Ginger - 3cm [blend well together]
Candleberry nut - 6 nuts
Dried shrimp/Dried krills - 50gm or 1 cup
Belacan - 2cm
Galangal (smashed) - 4cm
Lemongrass (smashed) - 2 sticks
Dried chili (blended) - 1 ½ cups
Meat curry spices powder - 3 tablespoons
Coriander powder - 1 tablespoon
Coconut milk - 800ml
Thai basil leaves - 1 bunch
Coconut (desiccated toasted) - 3 tablespoons
Gula melaka (Palm sugar) - 1 tablespoon
Turmeric sliced (Asam keping) - 2 slices
Salt and Sugar - To taste
Beansprout - 100gm
Long bean - 3 long sticks
Thai basil leaves - 3 stalks
Cucumber (slice thin) - 1 stick
Red onion (Slice thin) - 1
Torch Ginger flower - 1
Spaghetti - 1 packet
Sambal belacan - 2 tablespoons
Lime - 4
- First, prepare the shrimp skin stock by boiling the shrimp skin and head with onion, garlic, ginger, and lemongrass. Let simmer for 20 minutes and strain.
- Pour the boiling water back into the pot and add the tuna and shrimp filling and let it cook for 15 minutes. Turn off the heat, let it cool for a while and grind with water until it breaks down.
- Then, heat a pan, add oil and sauté the blended ingredients until fragrant.
- After that, add the blended dried chillies followed by the curry spice and coriander powder. Saute until the oil breaks.
- Pour in the fish and shrimp ingredients and mix well. Let it cook for a while.
- Add the asam keping (turmeric sliced), kesom leaves (basil leaves), Malacca sugar(Palm sugar) and keresek(Dessicated coconut).
- Finally pour in the coconut milk and let it simmer until the gravy is bubbling (medium to large flame). Season with salt and sugar
- Serve with spaghetti, side dishes and sambal belacan.